Saturday, October 22, 2011

Why I’m hooked on being carfree! - Getting There - Capital Region development - timesunion.com - Albany NY


Why I’m hooked on being carfree! - Getting There - Capital Region development - timesunion.com - Albany NY: "The first thing I noticed about not driving everywhere was an immediate connection to my neighborhood and my community that just wasn’t there when I drove all the time. To put it simply, being a pedestrian feels more human than being a driver. Walking connects me visually to my surroundings: I notice the interesting architectural details I never saw when driving at 30 mph, and I watch the scurrying squirrels or look at the intricacies of the plants, flowers and lichens growing on tree bark. Walking connects me auditorily : I hear the chatter of the birds that changes with the seasons, I listen to the wooshing of the passing vehicles, and hear snippets of the conversations of passing pedestrians and puppies. Walking connects me to other people: it’s an opportunity to get to know neighbors and folks at the bus stop whose path I never crossed when I was rolling around town in that isolated metal box."

'via Blog this'